Moving Files Between YDL Machines

Ben Ricker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 17 15:24:00 2003

I would not run rsync as a daemon. First, you are relying on the
security of the daemon running 24/7 while you may only need it for a few
minutes of transfer. Two, the transport mechanism is plain text.

Use the '-e' toggle and point to the locations of ssh. (rsync -e
/usr/local/bin/ssh) and this will utilize ssh as the transport. SSH is
much more secure means of transport, the daemon is particularly secure
since that is its function. You can also use passkey authentication or
host key authentication to do "passwordless" transfers.

I use rsync over ssh for roughly 30 servers running Solaris and Linux
and sync stuff to my OS X box at home using this very method. Works
great and is secure to boot.

Ben Ricker