linux on mac

nathan r. hruby yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Sep 28 11:27:01 2003

Welcome to to the wonderful world of Linux!  Wow.. it's been so long since
someone posted about not knowing *anything* about linux.  It's a fun,
strange and different world from MacOS 9.

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, onder wrote:
> 1- i have i mac 350 mhz with 7 MB HD and 64 rem.. i will use 1 part for
> macOs 9.2.2.. 1 part for 9.04 hfs sor sharing with linux..for this reason i
> need some fewer part firstly to learn linux..

Note that re-partitioning your hard drive will destroy its current
contents.  Be sure to do this on a "spare" machine or have a very good
current and reliable backup of your drive before attempting any of this.

> can i use linux in 1 MB part ?? is it less for YDL ??? What do you advice ?

I assume you mean you have a 7 Gigabyte hard drive?  I don't think Apple
ever shipped a iMac with a 7 Megabyte hard drive..  If so, then yes, 7GB
should be enough for both OS9 and Yellowdog linux partitions.  Be warned
that you may find that you may start wanting a bigger disk after a few
months of use :)

> 2- i dont have YDL installation cd. Can i download from net ??

YES!  Check the following URL and find a FTP mirror close to you. (Note:
actual links are located at the bottom of the listed page)
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/resources/ftp_mirrors.shtml

Additionally, there are several places that sell CD's of YellowDog for
only a few dollars (typically $4.85 USD)  Check to see if there's suck a
company near you.

lastly, The fine folks who make Yellowdog Linux also sell boxed sets as
well.  These come with various leverls of support, including telephone
installation support, ydl.net membership (which gives you forums
access, priority donwloads, email, etc..)

> 3- YDL is good for mac ?? how is redhead or mandrake ?????? Or any others ??
> (i donno anything about them too)

Yes :)  YDL is a darn good distro.  There are several others (Debian,
SuSE, Mandrake) but YDL is probably one opf the first Mac-centric linux
distro, and as far as I know, still the only PPC/Mac only distro.

> 4-Can i use Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweawer, Freehand on linux ??

Err.. yes and no.  Those applications will not run natively under Linux.
YDL does comes with a free program called Mac-ON-Linux (or "MOL" for
short) which will fire up a emulation session of MacOS inside of linux
that will allow you to run those applications inside another window in
linux.  This is similar in concept to launching the "Classic" environemnt
in Mac OSX.

The original poster did offer you several good links at the YDL site which
I encourage you to read!  They are quite good and will help you get the
inital knowledge you need to start installing and running.  I'd also
suggest the yellowdog-newbie list as well:

Another great source of information is The Linux Documentation Project,
which has online copies of man pages, HOWTO's, and other information.
Some/Many of the HOWTO's (which are invaluable) have been translated into
multiple languages (Sorry, I'm hazarding a guess that English is not your
first lanaguage, if this is incorrect, sorry! :)
http://www.tldp.org/

Specifically the install section might be helpful:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/os.html#OSINSTALL

Note that much of this info is online.  It would be wise to have access to
another computer during your install and configuration so you can access
these online resources if you encounter any problems.

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby@uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free