linux on mac

mascarasnake yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Sep 28 11:43:01 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 11:59, onder wrote:

Onder,
Here's what I can help you out with:
> But i have some "silly" questions too

No questions are silly. If they were, they would have to put me away in
a "Home For The Silly" somewhere.

> 1- i have i mac 350 mhz with 7 MB HD and 64 rem.. i will use 1 part for
> macOs 9.2.2.. 1 part for 9.04 hfs sor sharing with linux..for this reason i
> need some fewer part firstly to learn linux..
> can i use linux in 1 MB part ?? is it less for YDL ??? What do you advice ?

I'm assuming by MB you mean GB-
I would recommend at least 3 GB for your Linux installation. There will
be 4 basic options to choose from when you install
	1) Personal Desktop - minimum install
	2) Workstation - for doing programming and intranet networking - this
was my choice, about 2 1/2 - 3 GB for install.
	3) Server
	4) Everything
Choice 1) with 3GB partition would be best for you

> 2- i dont have YDL installation cd. Can i download from net ??

These are the 4 files you will need to download. They are quite large:

ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/iso/yellowdog-3.0-sirius-20030530-install1.iso
	637.8 MB
ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/iso/yellowdog-3.0-sirius-20030530-install2.iso
	529.9 MB
ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/iso/yellowdog-3.0-sirius-20030530-install3.iso
	638.3 MB
ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/iso/README

you will need to burn them on cd as ISO Images (That support page has a
HOW TO on that), Then install from those CDs. If you don't have a
broadband connection, I wouldn't recommend even attempting to download.
Those ISO files took several hours each for me on a 512K DSL.

> 3- YDL is good for mac ?? how is redhead or mandrake ?????? Or any others ??
> (i donno anything about them too)

I haven't tried the other distros, but from what I've gathered just
investigating their web sites, they are pretty the same at heart. Linux
is Linux, KDE is KDE, etc. I chose YDL because it is specifically
designed for the Mac and I didn't have to wade thru web page after web
page to find a version for the Mac. That kind of tells you where the
primary goals of the distributors lie, I think.

> 4-Can i use Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweawer, Freehand on linux ??

No, but there are similar apps bundled with Linux.for most of your apps.
(a full Office style suite, photo manipulation with support for layers
and tons of others)

Hope this helps out.

                               Bossa Nova

                              masarasnake