linux on mac

nathan r. hruby yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Sep 28 14:06:01 2003

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, onder wrote:

> > YDL does comes with a free program called Mac-ON-Linux (or "MOL" for
> > short) which will fire up a emulation session of MacOS inside of linux
> > that will allow you to run those applications inside another window in
> > linux.
>
> Wow.. How it can be ?? would you tell me more about this please..

MOL has extensive documentation:
http://www.maconlinux.org/userguide/index.html

Also, I belive that the YDL Installation Guide has info on MOL as well.
Certianly, the older YDL-2.2 Install Guide has some info that is probably
still valid.
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/guide2.2.shtml#mol

> For example. i have 4 disks partion.
>
> 1-Mac os 9.04 with HFS
> 2-Macos 9.2.2 with HFS+
> 3- YDL HFS
>
> if i have Flash in 9.04 by your say i can open it in linux ?

Well.. Not exactly.  MOL allows you to start a copy of MacOS *inside* of
linux as another plain old application and then use MacOS appliactions
like Flash, Photoshop and CrystalQuest inside that application window.
Additionally, it will see HFS and HFS+ partitions and boot the MacOS on
them (including Mac OS X)

> This is amazing..
>
> >I assume you mean you have a 7 Gigabyte hard drive?  I don't think Apple
> >ever shipped a iMac with a 7 Megabyte hard drive..
>
> Yes imac 350 DV.. 7 GB with 64 MB rem.. i will change rem with 128 or 256
> soon.

Generally, the more memory, the better.  128 MB's will do you fine for now
though, it'll certianly get you installed and running.

> >Sorry, I'm hazarding a guess that English is not your
> >first lanaguage, if this is incorrect, sorry!
>
> You are right. English is not my first language. i know i made some
> mistakes. Sorry for that. But at least you can understand me :-) thanks for
> your help.. But this shows you are a linux too :-) harmonious

Your English is actually pretty good.  Ceriantly better than my Spanish
;-)  FWIW, ther are lots of online linux resources in other languages
that may be able to help you as well, what is your native language?

> >HOWTO's, and other information.
> >Some/Many of the HOWTO's (which are invaluable) have been translated into
> >multiple languages
>
> I check that meterial how to.. But i am sorry it is so complex and not for
> us.. This conversation better then that..

Yeah, but you gotta read it :)  It may not make sense, but that's ok, at
least you get it loaded in your head and are aware of it.  Plus, it will
sink in after awhile

-n

nathan hruby <nhruby@uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free