Getting to 3.0.1 (was Re: linux on mac)

Beartooth yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Sep 29 09:44:01 2003

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Rick Thomas wrote:

> It would be a good idea to wait a few weeks until the YDL 3.0.1 iso
> images (CD-ROM images suitable for burning to CD-R) are made generally
> available on the Yellow Dog web site.  Today they are available only
> to folks who have paid for the privilege of getting access to
> pre-release software.
	(snipperoo)

	I *think* you just answered the Gretchen-question I've been
trying to formulate.

	I started with YDL 2.3, then bought 3.0 on CDs, installed it --
and went off line (not by choice) for about three months; I never
managed to install all the various fixes that came out shortly after
3.0, or even get my head straight about apt vs. yum.

	But I did finally manage, a day or two ago, to get the various
machines to take my credit card, and got into the Enhanced group.  (I
*think* the problem was consistently wrong guesses at which address the
card company had; we moved and rented, then bought and moved again, in
six months.) So I suppose that means I can get 3.0.1 as soon as I can
get a round tuit. Right?

	Technicalia:  I'm a real duffer with linux, but I'm what there
is by way of in-house support for my wife's G3 iBook, bought from
Terrasoft in August of '02; it connects wirelessly over a Network
Everywhere router (poor man's linksys -- one antenna, not two), plugged
into an Adelphia cable modem in Western Virginia; the fershlugginer
cable connection goes down several times a day.

	In case it's relevant : I kept OSX when I installed YDL 3, but
no longer want it -- I'd prefer to wipe everything, and have a machine
free of anything but linux. (We both happen to hate OSX almost as much
as MS -- it *seems* intuitive only to those who grew up with it, afaict;
so why trudge through one learning curve for linux and another for
Apple?)

	Oh -- and I've only ever had zilch luck with burning CDs, either
on my own machine (two hard drives, one w/RH8 and one w/RH9; both on
RHN) or on my wife's.

	So do I just want to install YDL 3.0.1 over the top of 3.0 (and,
this time, also over OS9 and OSX), and forget updating 3.0? That would
give me more time to get around to learning yum or apt or whatever any
consensus may have developed for.

	If so, do I want to try downloading 3.0.1 over the mizzawobble
cable connection? Or can I get it on CDs somehow?

--
Beartooth Implacable <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
Back on line at last!