Baffled by Airport

Francis X. Maier yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 6 11:29:00 2004

Bill,

It's a bit of a weird setup, but it works for everything but my Linux
iMac; and it even worked for the Linux iMac in the past when I was using
the DWL-122 USB wireless adapter.  I switched to the Airport card after
a failed recompile.  I thought it would be "easier" than getting the
DWL-122 back up and running.  ;-(

Anyway, according to Qwest, my NETWORK is 168.103.XX.0 and my BROADCAST
is 168.103.XX.7.  My Actiontech router is assigned 168.103.XX.6.  That
leaves me five static IPs to play with.

I assign 168.103.XX.1 to my Airport Extreme base station.  Then I set
the base station to use DHCP (but not NAT) to distribute IPs
168.103.XX.2 through 168.103.XX.5 to the other units on my LAN.  These
include:

-- a G4 connected by ethernet to the base station; manually assigned
168.103.XX.2 with the base station as its gateway;
-- a G5 wirelessly connected; manually assigned 168.103.XX.3 with the
base station as its gateway;
-- an Xbox wirelessly connected; manually assigned 168.103.XX.4 with the
base station as its gateway;
-- my troublesome Linux iMac.

I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  My base station is not
encrypted; the base station and iMac are set to the same channels (10);
and the base station is broadcasting with an "802.11b/g compatible"
setting.

Any sense of the problem?  The Actiontech router is really out of the
picture in this setup.