zip drives

Andrew yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 9 21:30:02 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 11:09, Jim wrote:
> Howdy Everyone!
>
> I have been using Ydl 3.0 off and on for some time now,and I still
cannot
> get my zip drive to work under this OS!
> If someone can help me out on this,I will buy them a beer when they
come to
> the barren lands of Kansas.
> Thanks
> Jim Ricken

Im go for a beer, its fryday after all!

spawn a terminal and follow those steps (I'll assume you are using KDE
for the desktop-icon section)

First, let see if its (even) recognized by the system during booting:
(subdue SCSI for USB if you use a USB model..)

]$ dmesg | grep SCSI
this is my output:
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
sym0: SCSI BUS has been reset.
scsi1 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Type:   Scanner                            ANSI SCSI revision: 07
sym0:1: FAST-20 WIDE SCSI 40.0 MB/s ST (50.0 ns, offset 16)
SCSI device sdb: 2091050 512-byte hdwr sectors (1071 MB)

I see <SCSI device sdb (...) (1071 MB)>. Thats my JAZ drive! Your ZIP
will probly show 100MB... The three letters before the : (sdb?) is what
is interesting from now on, write them down or use your mental-notes:

]$ su
]$ ln -s /dev/sdb /dev/zip; mkdir /mnt/zip
]$ kwrite /etc/fstab

add a line at the buttom of the file as follow: Dont forget to hit
return at the end of the line:

/dev/zip        /mnt/zip        auto    defaults,users,rw 1 0

Save changes, quit and go back to your terminal:

]$ chmod a+x /bin/mount
]$ exit

You will need a extfs disk. You can use pdisk (sbin/pdisk) or usr this
command as root:
]$ /sbin/mke2fs /dev/jaz

Ok, you can use the zip with this command-line-only technique:

]$ mount /dev/zip /mnt/zip; cd /mnt/zip
and
]$ umount /dev/zip when you are done.

Now, we will add an icon on KDE's desktop, shall we?

right-click on the background (or F11 if you are using a
single-button-wanna-be-mouse-thing, heh sorry... ;))
Create New -> Hard Disk...
Choose the icon (it will be the icon shown when the device is mounted)
and give it a meant name. Permissions have no need to be changed. On
Device tab: pull-down the 'Device:' menu and select '/dev/zip (mnt/zip)'
Click OK

Thats all, I think. As always, ring me back if you need further help.