zip drives

Mike Parson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 12 10:15:02 2004

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 11:50:47AM -0400, Andrew wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 00:43, James A. Ricken wrote:
>> Andrew wrote:

<snip>

>> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
>> scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
>> mesh: configured for synchronous 5 MB/s
>> mesh: performing initial bus reset...
>> scsi1 : MESH
>> mesh: target 0 synchronous at 5.0 MB/s
>>  Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: FIREBALL ST4300S  Rev: 0F0D
>>  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>> mesh: target 3 synchronous at 5.0 MB/s
>>  Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: CD-ROM CR-8024    Rev: 2.0e
>>  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>>  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: E.08
>>  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>> scsi2 : 53C94
>> Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
>> Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi1, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
>> SCSI device sda: 8418816 512-byte hdwr sectors (4310 MB)
>> sda: [mac] sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9
>> sdb: Unit Not Ready, sense:
>> Current 00:00: sense key Not Ready
>> Additional sense indicates Medium not present
>> sdb : READ CAPACITY failed.
>> sdb : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
>> Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
>> Additional sense indicates Medium not present
>> sdb : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
>> sdb: I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
>> I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
>> unable to read partition table

<snip>

> what kind of zip is that? It sure look like a JAZ drive to me. Iomega
> produce some 750MB zip but no 1000MB.
> <http://www.iomega.com/na/products/>

The kernel is assuming 1G since it can't read the drive, ie, there's not
a disk in the drive when it probed.

> As for all those errors related to sdb, make sure there is a disk in the
> drive.

With a disk in the drive, (might need to reboot with a disk present),

fdisk -l /dev/sdb

With the default MS-DOS formatted Zip disks, you'll have a partition on
/dev/sdb4 (IIRC).  So, your /etc/fstab entry should look something like:

/dev/sdb4               /mnt/zip                auto    noauto,owner  0 0

I don't know how it would look for Mac/HFS(+) formatted zips as I've
never tried to access one under Linux before.

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org