Mac OS X utility to learn command line

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 16 07:35:02 2004

Friends:

Here's an interesting Mac OS X-only utility called Clix. Clix is a GUI
list of many, many command line commands (ls, dmesg, sudo, df, etc.).
Included are regular Unix-style commands as well as some OS X-specific
commands (the "defaults write..." commands that OS X uses to alter
preference files). One can act on any command right from the Clix
window. It's quite a nice deal to be able to browse a comprehensive list
of important (and obscure) commands with explanations *and* examples
(take *that*, man pages!):

<http://rixstep.com/4/0/clix/>

Clix still has a few issues; for instance, there does not seem to be any
obvious way to enter a password for "sudo" commands. Still, it's worth a
gander.

Best wishes,
Clint

Note: the Yellow Dog Newbie mailing list is not currently being archived
(we don't know why). Therefore, for significant questions whose answers
might help other Yellow Dog Linux users, we recommend you sign up for
the Yellow Dog General list: