Getting the Most Out of XMMS

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 16 09:32:01 2004

Tony:

Tony wrote:
> On the issue of XMMS, I have experienced problems with
> the program (locking up?) when I try to change the skin.

I have encountered this, too. I don't know why it happens (of course),
but I have gotten into the habit of quitting and restarting xmms when
making too many tweaks to the interface. The xmms skins can be left in
their gzipped (or are they tarred?) state -- I wonder if the locking up
problem has to do with the gzip decoder?

> I have had to reboot in order to run XMMS again
> under the same user. When I installed YDL I made
> sure to check the optional skins to also be
> installed.

I have also had problems with xmms refusing to play sound after a
crash... or sometimes, just after a while (i.e., it just stops playing
in the middle of a song). When these random crashes occur, I cannot get
xmms to work again until after a reboot. The complaint (I don't have an
error message open in front of me) is usually that such-and-such a
decoder is not present. Occasionally (though rarely), I can rescue xmms
by opening the preferences (right-click/F12 in the display region) and
selecting any random sound decoder (again, I don't have xmms open, so I
cannot recall the exact details).

Like you, I have found that only a reboot (not a logout-login) will make
things right. Sorry!

I have always attributed these issues to the Linux legacy of having
three or four mutually exclusive sound systems, each of which has its
corresponding applications that do not play well with others. This is
just my opinion, though.

Best wishes,
Clint