ISpell not working

Jason DeVita yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Apr 17 13:41:01 2004

All of the following assumes you're using bash as your shell (you can
check by typing "echo $SHELL").  If you're using another shell, the idea
is the same but the files are different.

Type "whereis ispell".  That should return a path to ispell (if it
doesn't, you may not have ispell installed).

[jdevita]$ whereis ispell
ispell: /usr/bin/ispell

You can check your path with "echo $PATH".  If the path to ispell is
not in your PATH, then add the following line to ~/.bash_profile

PATH=$PATH":/usr/bin"
(substituting, of course, whatever the path is on your machine)

You'll need to re-login inorder for it to take effect (.bash_profile is
executed upon login).  Alternatively, you can type "source
~/.bash_profile", and the change will take effect immediately, but only
for the current shell.

If you use csh or tcsh, I *believe* that ~/.login is the file to use.  If
you use ksh or zsh, you're on your own.

HTH,