boot failure

Thomas Sorensen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 21 07:43:01 2004

--------------070809070400080203040809

Norberto Quintanar wrote:

>Something to try, just to see if it will boot, remove the USB card
>and the Sonnet G3 card.  There was a thread a while back that
>diagnosed a problem with G3 cards and YDL.  It was solved by
>installing YDL without any peripheral cards, then once it booted
>etc...  Reinstall the cards and deal with them one at a time.
>HTH
>Norberto
>--- Thomas Sorensen <tomsor@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Hardware:
>>Performa 6360
>>Sonnet G3 300mhz card
>>136 mb ram
>>15 gig hd (10 gig os 9.2.2, 5 gig free space)
>>I have installed 3.0.1 using the old world instructions with no
>>problems,
>>got to the finishing stages and chose generic (default) vid and
>>then my
>>exact monitor, restarted the system and at boot X as instructed
>>unchecked th
>>e disc image, changed from the boot kernel to the other and put in
>>hda 8 as
>>instructed for the root device. The problem is now when I try to
>>boot into
>>linux I get about half way through the first page of boot script
>>and
>>everything locks up, the last commands on the screen are as follows
>>if
>>helpful:
>>WMU: mapin
>>WMU: mapin_ram done
>>WMU: setio
>>WMU: exit
>>setup-arch: enter
>>setup-arch: bootmem
>>arch: exit
>>and at this point it locks up solid with no cursor or anything. I
>>have tried
>>to re-install once and got error messages about vgscan failed and
>>ended up
>>having to delete the swap and main partions and start all over but
>>with the
>>same results. I am no IT guy so I'm trying to provide as much info
>>as I can,
>>if anything else would be helpful I will try to provide it but my
>>Linux
>>experience is very nominal. Thanks

>HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

Thanks Norberto:
    I don't have a USB card but I will pull the G3 card and see if it
boots and go from there.

--------------070809070400080203040809

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Norberto Quintanar wrote:<br>
 cite="mid20040421120047.97685.qmail@web13423.mail.yahoo.com">
  <pre wrap="">Something to try, just to see if it will boot, remove the USB card
and the Sonnet G3 card.  There was a thread a while back that
diagnosed a problem with G3 cards and YDL.  It was solved by
installing YDL without any peripheral cards, then once it booted
etc...  Reinstall the cards and deal with them one at a time.
HTH
Norberto
--- Thomas Sorensen <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:tomsor@comcast.net">&lt;tomsor@comcast.net&gt;</a> wrote:
  </pre>