YDL support for G3, G4 cards which Macs- 9600?

Simon Slaytor yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 23 02:25:02 2004

Hi Kenneth,

You shouldn't have any problems at all with your proposed system. I'm
currently running a PM7300 with a Sonnet G4-450 1M card installed and
stability and performance are excellent.

The only issue I have is that the BOOTX extension loads before the
Sonnet Cache enabler, I believe the 'type' of extension determines this.
I believe there is a way using RESEDIT to modify the Sonnet extension so
that it loads first but haven't managed to track down the details yet,
info anyone?

As such at present I boot into OS9, let the Sonnet software enable the
cache then use BootX to switch to YDL.

Overall the systems pretty tight and if you really need six PCI slots
there's no real alternative. If however you could get by on 3 slots I'd
recommend a Beige G3. My Beige G3 300 running YDL is just as if not more
responsive than the G4/7300 and with one of the new 800Mhz/1Ghz G3/G4
upgrades it would be a screamer. The G3 also takes standard CHEAP PC100
Dimms, uses CHEAP IDE disks and in the case of the Mini tower has a
standard $20 ATX power supply.

Regards

Simon