boot failure

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 27 20:19:00 2004

--- Thomas Sorensen <tomsor@comcast.net> wrote:
> OK I believe what you are saying and he admits he has no experience
> with a
> Mac or YDL and is just trying to help. My question to you is why
> won't the
> etc/inittab allow me to edit it, do I need to open it in another
> program to
> make the change to level 3, when I use less /etc/inittab it seem to
> be more
> of a read only program. One other observation if I type single in
> the kernel
> exceptions I get to a command line promp of sh-2.05b# and it won't
> go any
> further. I'm sorry to have offended anyone by my lack of Linux
> knowledge and
> have posted also on the newbie list but got no responses, I thought
> the idea
> of the mailing list was to help other people out and try to expand
> Linux
> usage. Thanks

People are trying to help you.  You are trying to install linux on a
6360.  Equivalent to dropping a small bock chevy in a Willy's Jeep.
Not entirely impossible, but it's going to take a lot of work, on
your part.  Are you logging in as root?  what text editor are you
using?  pico or vi or are you just typing /etc/initab?  If that's the
case, you will not be able to edit the file.

Just in case.

At BootX type "linux single" no quotes
use pico or vi to edit /etc/initab
save your work, and voila let us know