Removing/Resizing YDL?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 11:05:51 -0500

Mr. Norton:

Steven J. Norton wrote:
> Would this tool (ext2fsx) then allow me to mount Linux
> filesystems on the Mac OS desktop

Yes! ext2fsx creates a new control panel in System Preferences that
allows one to toggle mounting of the ext2 partition. It shows up on the
desktop, just like any other Mac partition (make sure you have the
Finder Preferences set to show hard disks on the desktop).

> so that they were accessible to Mac backup programs?

Uh... I don't know. Retrospect *might* be able to do the backups, since
it has support for UFS. A better approach might be to use rsync to copy
files to your HFS+ drive for backup there.

Of course, that approach would negate your desire to use the YDL
partition for extra file storage space. :-/

Also, I do not know whether all OS X applications will be able to save
to or read from the ext2 partition, even though it is visible to the Finder.

> And even if I could get Retrospect to see my YDL drives, could I trust the
> backup? Any advice appreciated.

The only way to trust a backup system -- any backup system -- is to do a
complete backup and then do a complete restore. It's the only way to be
sure. Give it a try and report your experiences to the list!

Best wishes,
Clint