RPMs for MySQL version 4?

Andrew yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:52:29 -0400

>  While they have a downloadable
> version for powerpc, it's not an RPM (those are only available for select
> platforms like x86) but it doesn't seem to be source either and I admit I'm
> lost as to how to proceed. The "installation" instructions in the manual
> only made things worse.

Yeah.. I miss those 'commercial' installers ;) I did a quick flyby...
The file I got (mysql-max-4.0.20-unknown-linux-powerpc.tar.gz) is a
binary compressed into a tarball (.tar) file. This mean its already
compiled and (almost) ready to use. The source (also as a tarball) is
located at the very buttom of the Download page..

> Does anyone know where an RPM of MySQL 4 might be found, or failing that
> what steps I should take to upgrade with whatever it is I downloaded from
> mysql.com? Thanks in advance,

AFAIK, upgrading an RPM-installed program with whatever else then
another RPM is trivial to say the least. I would remove (rpm -e) the
RPM-installed before installing/upgrading any version of any software.

heck I just tried rpm -e mysql and several dependencies came up. I get
down. I wont risk providing you with blind instructions. It would screw
you even more...

Checking out <http://www.mysql.com/support/> whoooa! MySQL Technical
Support - Installation Advice is $250. now that hurt. I almost fell
culprit pointing it our here. I hope someone can and will get you up and
running!

-Andrew