printing options

John M Phillips yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:29:20 -0400 (EDT)

First, when running under Linux, is you computers network card
configured to the same subnet?  Type

   /sbin/ifconfig eth0

and look for the line "inet addr: ", the address should be
something like 192.168.0.xxx to be on the same logical
subnet as the printer. If not you will need to move either the
printer or the computers address. Most private networks
us the subnet 192.168.1.xxx.

Second, once you are sure that the both are on the same subnet
try
   ping 192.168.0.11

If ping works, then try addressing the printer using a browser
(mozilla, firefox, etc) with the URL 192.168.0.11.

Third, as root, configure the printer with "cupsconfig".  The
URI for the printer function may not be "http://" but
more likely on of the following
	lpd://192.168.0.11/...
	ipp://192.168.0.11/ipp ...
        socket://192.168.0.11:9100

You should be able to get the type of network printer service
from the browser access in step 2 above.