yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #1690 - 1 msg

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
14 Aug 2004 06:11:28 -0400

A clarification of what is going on would help address your problem
better.

Any card or device in a PCI or any other slot, as well as any other
physical component in your Mac can cause an electrical problem, shock or
"spike" if it is not placed properly and it's contacts firmly in place.
Also unless you run specific software to test these components
physically you really can't determine which is causing what.
TechTools Pro by MicroMat CAN test a variety of hardware components of
greater variety than other software and give you a complete report
regarding what is wrong and what may be done.  If you can't find or buy
it locally then ask for either MacMall, Macconnection or Other World
Computing (macsales.com); I've taking a liking to Other World Computing
- but you might not be in the US.  Even so, they all have websites and
Other World Computing allows anyone to send them email regarding
anything they sell.

Continuing on the "spike" concept a bit further.  This is a PHYSICAL
problem, not a software problem.  That is, one looks for a physical
relationship; perhaps there is a high amount of static electrical charge
that is too high or you've placed your Mac right besides your stereo, TV
and microwave and/or they are all connected to the same electrical
outlet which is 40 or more years old and hasn't been designed or
electrically prepared with modern circuitry to handle the computer and
all the things you use.  The Macs use of power is very tiny, however if
it's located and placed in a "bad" spot, electrically speaking in terms
of physics, it can fail.

A quick solution would be to get a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)
from APC (American Power Conversion Corp.) but even though they are the
top in this area of protecting computers from power spikes, under/over
flow of power, and so on -- if your home and the plug which you use for
your computer -- any computer -- plus all your additional computer
related devices which you intend to add -- has not been rated to handle
such power drain the UPS will merely delay the inevitable failure -- not
prevent it.  After all, the battery supply it comes with or not,
depending on what UPS you can afford to pay for, merely delays
electrical problems.

For instance, if your home electrical circuitry is not current or
sufficient as judged by a professionally bonded and licensed electrician
-- not one's well-intended cousin who is still a student -- to tolerate
modern computer, peripheral and other normal electrical equipment then
ask him/her to install it and pay it.  The function of the UPS is to
protect you from spikes, and other electrical variations sent to you
from your local power company.  This is an interesting problem worthy of
investigation when you've the time to do it; one can never know or learn
enough.  Not that the power company is malicious; there are real
limitations and even comprehension in directing electrical power in a
steady and reliable manner. Several courses in physics, economics, urban
studies and so on would not begin to cover all the difficulties.  I
digress, next I'll write about Tesla and Edison.

Anyway, these are all very basic preparatory issues for any home or
workplace.  Remember the slickest, and greatest computer in the world
cannot protect you from dried out wires in your wall or basement which
are exposed or becoming exposed.  Again, have your circuits tested if
this is a regular experience.

Apologies if I have wasted time and you already know all the above.

Regarding the problem of installation, what does the screen tell you?
Which version of YDL are you installing?  Unfortunately, I am not
familiar with ALL varities of Macs and which Mac OS they run; but you
did not mention it so I cannot comment further.  However, if your Mac
needs to run anything from 9.2 and lower you definitely need to prepare
the Mac OS side FIRST to run BootX.  That means that BootX has to
function with all the parts IT needs on the Mac OS FIRST before you try
to install YDL.  IF the setting of BootX is NOT on the BOOT file and the
option for using the ramdisk.image.gz are not SAVED then when you dual
boot upon restarting the Mac (after saving the BootX parameters) in
Linux, then Linux will say all sorts of things and you'll waste a LOT of
time.

I have noticed that there seems to be a problem in booting into Linux
directly from the MacOS; I'm not sure why. I do know that having the
computer completely restart such that the MacOS splashscreen reappears
followed by BootX and then select Linux from that point always works for
me.

Let's imagine that something here or elsewhere inspired an idea or
variation which works for you.  Then make sure that if your installation
completes make sure to note what your /dev/hd...is.  It may be
/dev/....something else, but write it down somewhere and then boot back
into the Mac and change the BootX setting from the BOOT kernel to the
kernel you will be using regularly and then unclick/unselect the ramdisk
save that and then enter into the box right after the line immediately
following /dev whatever you recorded earlier...hda3 or hdd5  or
whatever.  Save that.  Double check that it is saved by closing BootX
and then reopen it and see if the settings remain.  Then click on the
MacOS and then restart.

When BootX then appears, select Linux and hopefully if all goes well you
will finally be in a Linux desktop and then the real fun begins...

Best wishes...Derick.