After successfull install: Mozilla doesn't work...

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:28:23 +1000

> How do you mean "run from a console"? I am entering the command in a
> terminal
> window. No output is observed.

OK, that's what I meant.

> The time is set correctly in the system. Local time shows in the panel
> at the
> bottom of the screen. Perhaps the mail client (I am sending from
> Konqueror) is
> doing something with the timestamps.

I'm surprised. It's been noted on this list several times that Mozilla
fails silently if the time is set to some time in the distant past (
time < build date or install date or ... ?? ). Large parts of Gnome
behave very strangely if the time is wrong too. It's caught me out a
few times after removing the battery from my iBook.

Hmmmm. Just realised mozilla is a shell script which invokes the
various Mozilla components based on command line arguments. The binary
is called mozilla-bin. On the x86 Debian box I'm logged on to at the
moment it's in /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin but there's no guarantee
it'll be in the same location for YDL.

I just tried starting mozilla without the DISPLAY environment variable
set - guaranteed to output an error. Using the script it fails
silently. If I try starting the binary I get the expected error -
'cannot open display'. I can't see anything obvious in the script
that's snaffling stderr but not to worry.

Try running the bin directly, hopefully you'll get an error message. It
could also be interesting to see what the mozilla script is doing. I
made a copy of it in my home directory and added the -x option to sh
(ie. change the first line to read #!/bin/sh -x). This makes sh output
each command it executes so even though there's no error message I can
see what the script is doing, which is quite a lot actually.

Hope that's a little more helpful.

Greg