YDL 4.0 on PowerMac G5 w/bluetooth wo/modem

Curt Arnold curt.arnold at mac.com
Wed Dec 1 18:11:57 MST 2004

I got my feet wet learning how to diagnose start-up problems and
finally got my PowerMac to boot.

Starting up in single user mode, I examined /var/log/boot.log and saw
that atd was always the last thing successfully started before locking
up (indicated by a gap in timestamps and the next entry as syslog).

Deciphering /etc/rc.d/rc5/d/, I saw that the atd start up was S95atd
and next S95* was s95firstboot.  Disabling firstboot by doing
"/sbin/chkconfig firstboot off" and restarting got me booted into YDL.
However, that bypassed the initial first booting configuration which
left things in a questionable state.

I reinstalled YDL and everything worked out of the box and needed no
tweaking of the startup.  Don't know what went wrong on my initial
attempts.

Once up, however I still have a couple of issues:

The battery power icon indicated that I had something like -244851634%
of my battery life left.

The fans ramp up and eventually hit jet fighter mode.  I tried all the
power management options with avail.  I did find some messages
indicating rebuilding the kernel might fix the problem, but I haven't
been that adventursome yet.

The Bluetooth mouse doesn't work, but the bluetooth keyboard does.  I
had a USB mouse that I can use, but it isn't as cool.

I tried experimenting to figure out how to triple boot into YDL,
Panther (sda4) and Tiger (second SATA hard drive, only partition), but
was unsuccessful.

At this point, unless there is a quick solution to the triple boot and
jet fighter mode problems, I'll blow away yaboot and just switch
between Panther and Tiger for the near future.

The following link was helpful:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-
boot-init-shutdown-process.html