VDQ : hosing OSX

b1smooth at yahoo.com b1smooth at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 4 14:33:23 MST 2004

--- Beartooth <beartooth at adelphia.net> wrote:

> I have the CDs for YDL 4.0, but haven't gotten to
> even breaking the seal
> yet, partly because I haven't gotten any answer yet
> to the following,
> which I asked elsewhere -- basically, is there any
> problem with wiping OSX
> clear off a laptop?
>
> My wife's retirement present, a G3 iBook from
> Terrasoft in August '02,
> came with 20 or 25 GB of YDL 2.3 and the rest OSX.
> Both of us find we
> detest the vaunted Apple Interface at least as much
> as MegaScat -- and
> therefore never boot to it. When I upgraded 2.3 to
> 3.0, I left the OSX
> alone, because we were still trying -- and because
> the only ISP we could
> get at her mother's house supported Mac and
> MegaScat, but not linux.
>
> We've meanwhile decided we'd rather to go offline
> there than fight with
> OSX.
>
> So : is there any gotcha or other consideration to
> have in mind, before I
> put in the CD, reboot, and watch gloating for my
> chance to tell it to wipe
> *everything* in favor of YDL 4.0?

If you're an avid Linux user,(as it seems) then there
still is reason to actually hold on to OSX. I myself
use multiboot for the purpose of having  a watermark
for troubleshooting hardware(9.2.2/10.3/Ydl 3.0.1).
If you feel you're doing everything correctly and
something just isn't working then in theory it should
work in OSX if the hardware isn't shot. Upgrading Open
firmware may be the only issue which I'm sure you
probably have already done on your ibook. I glanced
@apple.com and there are currently no firmware updates
for the ibook dual usb(your model right?). The hfs+
partition can be completely invisible to your Ydl 4.0
install if you choose. Frankly...I'd keep OSX around
for just in case
scenarios where:

you don't have a usb floppy to boot from
no bootcd you're in the dessert and you need to acces
your ext2/3 filesystem but you can't because of kernel
faults or corrupt files.

Open firmware generally always work to allow booting
if yaboot is
wacked
out

I'd go to sourceforge.net and install the ext2/3
filesystem support for OSX and keep it around for a
safeguard. This will allow you utter access to your
filesystem and allow you to repair it and run various
utilities if need be. Versatility will always help
rather then hinder.

B1
A healthy diet  includes Linux, Linux, and more Linux.