VDQ : hosing OSX

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sun Dec 5 13:56:49 MST 2004

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:33:23 -0800, b1smooth at yahoo.com wrote:

>> So : is there any gotcha or other consideration to have in mind, before
>> I put in the CD, reboot, and watch gloating for my chance to tell it to
>> wipe *everything* in favor of YDL 4.0?
>>
> If you're an avid Linux user,(as it seems) then there still is reason to
> actually hold on to OSX.

OK, thanks, I understand what you're saying -- this far. :-(

Everything else, alas!, is way over my head. Firmware?? dual usb?? hfs+??
bootcd? ext2/3?? filesystem support?? All Greek to me. As for apple.com --
enemy territory, just like MS; sorry about that. I don't go there. (I do
go to sourceforge.)

> I myself use multiboot for the purpose of having  a watermark for
> troubleshooting hardware(9.2.2/10.3/Ydl 3.0.1). If you feel you're doing
> everything correctly and something just isn't working then in theory it
> should work in OSX if the hardware isn't shot. Upgrading Open firmware
> may be the only issue which I'm sure you probably have already done on
> your ibook. I glanced @apple.com and there are currently no firmware
> updates for the ibook dual usb(your model right?). The hfs+ partition
> can be completely invisible to your Ydl 4.0 install if you choose.
> Frankly...I'd keep OSX around for just in case scenarios where:
>
> you don't have a usb floppy to boot from no bootcd you're in the dessert
> and you need to acces your ext2/3 filesystem but you can't because of
> kernel faults or corrupt files.
>
> Open firmware generally always work to allow booting if yaboot is wacked
> out
>
> I'd go to sourceforge.net and install the ext2/3 filesystem support for
> OSX and keep it around for a safeguard. This will allow you utter access
> to your filesystem and allow you to repair it and run various utilities
> if need be. Versatility will always help rather then hinder.

It would be nice if I could find a translation of that no doubt excellent
explanation into idiotese. <sigh>

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!