Upgrading Old World YDL 3 to 4

bricker at brick.net bricker at brick.net
Mon Dec 6 14:04:00 MST 2004

I ran into an issue in upgrading a YDL 3.0 G3 MT to YDL 4. I copied all
the RPMs from the YDL 4 CDs to a tmp directory and attempted to use them
as a Yum repository (according to the ANS instructions that have been
floating on the list). I was told that the YDL 3 stock yum does not have
the "file" repository functionality. I was told that I need to upgrade to
the yum that comes from FreshRPMs.

So, I added the following to my yum.conf:

cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
distroverpkg=yellowdog-release
pkgpolicy=newest
tolerant=1
exactarch=0
bootloader=0

[os]
name=YellowDog Linux 4.0 os
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/os

[updates]
name=FreshRPMS updates
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/updates

However, when I run "yum info", I get this:

$ yum info yum
Gathering package information from servers
Getting headers from: FreshRPMS 3.0 base
Getting headers from: YellowDog Linux 4.0 os
Getting headers from: FreshRPMS updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Looking in Available Packages:
Looking in Installed Packages:
Name   : yum
Arch   : noarch
Version: 1.0
Release: 1d
Size   : 198.10 kB
Group  : System Environment/Base
Yum is a utility that can check for and automatically download and
install updated RPM packages. Dependencies are obtained and downloaded
automatically prompting the user as necessary.

So, was I given wrong information about the yum from FreshRPMs allowing
the use of the "file" URL?

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this update going?

Thanks,

Ben Ricker