YDL 4.0 on oldworld mac

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Tue Dec 7 18:00:49 MST 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 03:00, Ken Barber wrote:
> Quoting Geert Janssens:
>
> > I would conclude that, although it's a bit of a rough ride, you CAN
> > upgrade to YDL 4 on an oldworld mac. No doubt, a clean install using the
> > kernel mentioned above would be much more straightforward.
>
> No, a clean install with the new kernel is an even rougher ride.

Actually, I tried to upgrade from 3 to 4 with the yum method... I've
spent more than weekend on that and it failed. My resume with the fewest
words: dependencies and bandwidth vacuum. I vote for a clean install :)

> It can't read the CD-ROM drive.

I've hit it. I fiddled with the options (NSF, HTP, FTP, Local CD...) and none was a go.
I eventually got "Insert CD1 in the drive to continue" or something similar but it still
refused to see the disk. Eject then re-insert the CD1 when the said dialog is waiting for an input got it going..