YDL 4.0 to Gnome 2.8

Henry A. Leinhos henry at leinhos.com
Wed Dec 15 07:50:22 MST 2004

Garnome doesn't necessarily replace your installed GNOME.  The config file
(gar.conf.mk) has a variable used to set the base directory for the new
GNOME (e.g. main_prefix ?= /usr/local/src/gnome2.8 for my build).  You then
simply launch into the new session (after setting some PATH and other
arguments). I built 2.8 on my YDL4 box without too much trouble (I had it on
my 3.0 box as well), and I certainly like 2.8 better.

YMMV
Henry

Andrew Zschetzsche writes:

> I was looking at that to do it, but then looking at the FAQ page, they were
> like "Dont Ever use to replace your distro's gnome!!!"
>
> Has anyone used this on YDL 4 without everything going boom?  Are there
> anything(s) to look out for or do differently?
>
> I got into big problems trying to do everything by hand, and now I'm to the
> last-ditch effort of reinstalling YDL and hopeing that everything else I
> did is still there.
>

> On 14 Dec 2004, Andrew wrote:
>> On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 20:20, Andrew Zschetzsche wrote:
>> > Does anyone have any advice (other than don't) for somebody who wants
>> > upgrade their YDL 4 install to Gnome 2.8?
>>
>> garnome - http://cipherfunk.org/garnome/

<snip>