VDQ : yum error under 4.0

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Wed Dec 15 12:02:47 MST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 02:15:53 -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:

>> ... tried "yum update" again. Still no joy : I still get
>>                           =====
>> [Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error] 530 Login incorrect.
>
> The "ftp" machine and the web machine are different physical boxes,
> and YDL seems to have trouble getting the passwords sync'ed between
> them.  I've had similar troubles, myself.  Good luck getting the
> attention of anybody at "support at ydl.net"  I've had terrible luck
> in the past.  Maybe things have improved recently.

This is getting ridiculous -- maybe not Terrasoft's fault, but no
less ridiculous for that. As I may have said already, I never did manage
to get any updates for 3.0 -- not even the security updates. I ended up
despairing of the futility of trying, and ran on a wing, a router, and a
prayer.

Today I went to the site -- took me ages and vast frustration to find it
-- where you enter your invoice and password for purchased support ; that
was after a mad scrambling scrounge for the right piece of paper with
those indicia, of course.

Then I tried a couple of yum commands again. The only difference was that
"yum clean" got me a message saying the server was probably dead or
impacted.

Halfway down http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/resources/downloads.shtml
there's a list :
                       =====
United States - Alternative (less busy) Mirrors
ftp://ftp.sunsite.utk.edu/pub/linux/yellowdog
http://ftp.sunsite.utk.edu/pub/linux/yellowdog
ftp://ftp.oregonstate.edu/pub/ydl
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/yellowdog/
ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/yellowdog/
ftp://phyppro1.phy.bnl.gov/pub/YellowDog/
ftp://ftp.linuxberg.com/pub/distributions/Yellowdog/
rsync://ftp.oregonstate.edu::yd
                      =====
with others for other locations.

Now where can I get step by step instructions on how to edit those into my
yum.conf?

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!