VDQ : yum error under 4.0

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Wed Dec 15 13:55:37 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 14:02, Beartooth wrote:

> Now where can I get step by step instructions on how to edit those into my
> yum.conf?

Here is my modified yum.conf

***Modified yum.conf
[andrew at virgule andrew]$ cat /etc/yum.conf
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest

[base]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Base
baseurl=http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/yellowdog/yum/4.0/base/

[updates]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Updates
baseurl=http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/yellowdog/yum/4.0/updates/
[updates]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Update
baseurl=http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/yellowdog/yum/4.0/update/

[extras]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Extras
baseurl=http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/yellowdog/yum/4.0/extras/

[FreshRPMS]
name=FreshRPMS Contributional Repository.
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/4.0/ppc/freshrpms/

I browsed several mirrors you posted in here and I found most of them
are quite messed up. Some ask for a password, some does not have 4.0
repositories, some are *very* slow and the others are gone (404). Here
is the one I found acceptable (as in usable and fast enough for my
tastes):
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/yellowdog/

You may use my yum.conf as much as you want but know it is *not* YDL.net
enabled as I dont have an account there.. Plus, I don't think
gulus.usherbrook.ca can do that...

Here comes the step-by-steps instructions you requested:

1- Find a suitable mirror :-)
2- As root, open your favorite text editor
3a- Open file </etc/yum.conf>
3b- use 'Save as' fonction to create a yum.conf backup...
4- Change the line 'baseurl=' for a mirror's URL that point to the
matching directory (base, update(s), extras..) containing a 'headers'
sub-directory as well as a RPMS.* link/directory. There should be one
for each group. One for [base] group that link to a /base directory,
another for [updates] that link to a /update directory and so on. These
should always be found withing a yum/ directory.
5- Save the changes.

 Am I confusing you? I hope im not... It sure is clear on my mind but to
download it on a keyboard is not always an easy task. Please bear with
me.

 I will also include a yum.conf that should work with the ibiblio
mirror:

***start
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest

[base]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Base
baseurl=ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/yellowdog/yum/4.0/base/

[updates]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Updates
baseurl=ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/yellowdog/yum/4.0/updates/

[update]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Update
baseurl=ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/yellowdog/yum/4.0/update/

[extras]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Extras
baseurl=ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/yellowdog/yum/4.0/extras/
***stop

-- Andrew