FROM LIST ADMIN - Re: Ubuntu Ubuntu Ubuntu

Jeffrey Fox jfox at euclid.colorado.edu
Fri Dec 17 10:55:02 MST 2004

OK, I also will join in, though with great regret.

First I want to point out I am NOT a hard core Linux fanatic, I use
Linux for computational biology research. I run it on a 30 node G4
cluster as well as a small 4 node(8 cpu)  G5 cluster
(yes, with 64 bit kernel!).  I DO NOT run the latest and greatest
distro, but use YDL 3.0 and 3.01.  For my work it is ROCK solid, easy
to maintain and, the most important for me, when I download open source
software (MPICH, Petsc, gmsh, etc) I configure, I make and it runs.

Face it, the latest and greatest distro will always have bugs and
problems, even expensive
closed source software has this problem.  If anyone expects perfection
out of the latest distro
they are guaranteed to be disappointed, it doesn't mater if God himself
puts it together. (  I have used Red Hat and Suse Linux as well as
FreeBSD on  Pentium 4 machines with tremendous headaches!)

Terasoft has done a great service for the scientific community and they
continue to expand and provide excellent tools for us. This is just a
fact. The flame war about this distro or that distro is silly, helps no
one, and greatly detracts from the usefulness of this list. It may very
well be true that one distro provides some aspect of some software that
some person thinks is important, GREAT! use it. That in no way detracts
from the strengths of YDL and the accomplishments of Terrasoft.

Dr. Jeffrey S Fox
Professor
Department of Mathematics
Center for Neuroscience
395 UCB
University of Colorado, Boulder 80309-0395
jfox at euclid.colorado.edu