still having trouble configuring X

peter yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Feb 4 21:37:01 2004

I'm still having some issues getting X configured. i managed to get X
up and running by using Xautoconfig (which i had to install with yum
after my 'minimal' install starting point. what i can't manage to do
now is change any of the X server settings. what i really want to do is
be able to change the depth and resolution. i'm running YDL 3.0 on a
PowerCenter with the stock 15" monitor that came with the machine. the
monitor is perfectly capable of running 1024x768 at thousands of
colors, which is what i'm trying to do. it appears to be set at
1024x768 and 256 colors, which looks like crap. the XF86Config file
that Xautoconfig created has these parts in it:

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier      "Monitor0"
         UseModes        "Modes0"
         ModelName       "Monitor Model"
         Option          "DPMS"
         HorizSync       30-70
         VertRefresh     50-160
EndSection

Section "Modes"
         Identifier      "Modes0"

         # Generated
         # D: 78.746 MHz, H: 60.020 kHz, V: 75.025 Hz
         Modeline "1024x768" 78.746 1024 1056 1152 1312  768 769 772 800
  +HSync
+VSync
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier      "Screen0"
         Device          "Card0"
         Monitor         "Monitor0"
         DefaultDepth    16
#       SubSection "Display"
#               Depth           8
#               Modes           "1024x768"
#       EndSubSection
         SubSection "Display"
                 Depth           16
                 Modes           "1024x768"
         EndSubSection
#       SubSection "Display"
#               Depth           24
#               Modes           "1024x768"
#       EndSubSection
EndSection

there are of course some other things in there, but from my (admittedly
rusty) recollection of having worked with XF86Config files before,
these are the relevant ones. as you can see, i've tried commenting out
the 8 and 24 bit settings (24 just won't work, so...), but when i run
X, it still comes up in crappy-mode.

i've tried running XFree86 -configure again now that i have a
XF86Config file for a starting point, but that gives me the same errors
it was before. the last lines in the error is a list of video drivers,
then these:

"
(EE) Failed to load module "v4l" (once-only module, 2)
No devices to configure.  Configuration failed.
"

thing is, i searched for v41 in the XF86Config, and it's not there.

the most frustrating part it, a few years ago i'm pretty sure i would
have known how to fix this! arg! ;-)

thanks again all,
peter