Install error Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1--ANSWER FROM TERRASOFT

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Feb 10 14:25:02 2004

Norberto Quintanar wrote:

>How could it trash your partition map, unless you let it?  I've had a
>fair share of success with Mandrake, and YDL.  Both have their fair
>share of radioactivity when installing, neither is perfect.

How many times I've asked myself that question, my friend! As I
remember, the installer started out mis-reading the partition map, which
made me uneasy. But by the time I got to the "do or die" point (the
actual partition initialization), it >seemed< that the installer was
operating only on the partition I had set up for the Mandrake install.
Boy, was I wrong! So, while I am sure that ultimately I screwed up
somehow in the way I was instructing/responding to the installer, it's
also true that by that time I had a number of dual- and multi-boot
installs under my belt. And the behavior of the installer was unlike
anything I had ever encountered--"reached out" into >other< partitions
and made changes in a way I had no reason to expect. Because I have no
idea how that could have happened, I would not take the risk of having
it happen again by giving Mandrake PPC another try. Hence the
"radioactive" label. And for that reason I urge other Linux/PPC users to
be leery of this distro.

>  I stick
>to YDL, because the community is a lot friendlier.  YDL isn't
>neccesarily better.  Just ask anyone trying to force an anaconda
>install.

Thanks for your observations, Norberto. I have had my problems with
config headaches (X, wireless) in YDL post-install. However, I have
never had a problem with the basic installation with YDL, and I've done
quite a few now (most in text mode.)

Cheers,    Harvey