Share files between Mandrake and YDL

Mike Parson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Feb 12 15:34:02 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 05:20:12PM -0500, Chris Ruprecht wrote:
> Hi Clint,
>
> On Thursday 12 February 2004 16:43, Clinton MacDonald wrote:

<snip>

>> logged into the YDL machine (a Wallstreet PowerBook)
>> as root, and added an entry to /etc/exports as you
>> suggested, then started the nfs service. That seemed
>> to work without incident. Unfortunately, I was not
>> able to mount the directory on my Mandrake box (a
>> Dell-made PC). However, as i said, I haven't tried
>> very hard, yet.
>
> type in
> exportfs
>
> at the prompt, this should give you some output, telling you what your shared
> directories are.

NFS is an RPC service, RPC portmapper needs to be running on the client
system as well.

as root, on the client system:

client# chkconfig --level 35 portmap on

To test it out, run this on the client:

client# showmount -e ydlboxname

This should list the filesytem you are exporting from the other system
and who it's shared to.

>>> You can make a link from your nfs script to your
>>> runlevel directory on machine A, so it always
>>> starts up NFS.
>>
>> I must admit, I don't know what that means, but I will
>> read up the man pages on it.
>
> You have the rc directory structure as follows:
> /etc/rc.d/init.d
> /etc/rc.d/rc<runlevel>.d
> <runlevel> is a number from 1 to 6, the only ones we need to worry about are 3
> (text mode) and 5 (X11 Login mode)
>
> say, you're running in level 5, then you have to go to /etc/rc.d/rc5.d and
> type:
> ln -s ../init.d S97nfs
> or something similar.
> The S means, it will be run at startup, the 97 determines which order things
> get started up. S01nfs wouldn't work, as it will try to start up nfs before
> the network services have started. Check, if there is already an entry for
> nfs (S9x range), we only have to start it once. I usually start my stuff at
> 97 - 99 after the rest of the system has come up.

Or, use chkconfig, it's not as cross-platform or pure UNIX as the above
method, but most redhat-based distributions will have it (including YDL
and Mandrake).  It will set the links for you and in the 'right' place.

server# chkconfig --level 35 nfs on

This will make the nfs services start up when booting to level 3 or 5.

For more info on NFS in general, read the Linux NFS-HOWTO:

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/NFS-HOWTO/index.html

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org