Q: Xserver

Jason DeVita yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Feb 13 17:13:01 2004

Eric,

If you run "/sbin/init 5" (as root), the X server will start and so will
the login manager (probably kdm, since you're running kde).  You can then
log in and out, and the x server will remain running.

Turning off the x server from there can be a little tricky.  At worst,
you can always log in, then issue "/sbin/init 3" which will take you back
to the console.  You can get kdm to give you a "console mode" option (you
have to insert a "local@console" in /etc/kde/kdm/Xservers), but it leaves
you in runlevel 5.  You then have to enter "init 3" to go back to
runlevel 3.

HTH,
-J