YDL working on 6400 based machine with L2 G3?

Scott Strungis yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Feb 26 19:47:01 2004

sloopy wrote:

>i would venture to guess it is probly a timing issue... i am using a
>8500/G3-500 right now with a Voodoo3 in a dual head setup and it works
>fine, but i know where i used to work we had a Starmax 3000 (which is a
>very similar machine) with a G3 L2 card and getting it to run reliable
>was difficult at best... if i used the console it would get random
>lockups but when i just used it as a file server and would only ssh into
>it, it would work fine...
>
>does it lockup with the init screen showing or blank? when i had the
>voodoo3 in my 9600 it would blank after the init screen and have a black
>screen until X would load... and once in X everything would be fine but
>if i switched to a VC it would either randomly lock or just give me a
>black screen... but in X ran fine...

It locks up with the initial init screen showing...Normally that lasts
about two seconds, and then the screen redraws in fb mode to show the
YellowDog and the rest of the boot console.  I never get a panic....Just
a lockup.

Scott