new kernel

Michael H. Martel yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 21 04:19:01 2004

--On Tuesday, January 20, 2004 9:20 PM -0600 Martin Patrick
<Martin.Patrick@valpo.edu> wrote:

> mount: error 19 mounting ext3
> pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
> unmount /initrd/proc failed: 2
> Freeing unused Kernel memory 168k init 4k chrp 36k prep
> Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel
> (0) Rebooting in 180 seconds

I had this happen on my Strawberry iMac with the 2.4.23 kernel as well.  I
was using the BenH kernel sources, but I theorized that it was a deeper
Kernel issue.

cd /usr/src/linux (or wherver you put your 2.4.23 sources)

[martelm@merlin linux-2.4.23-ben1]$ grep -i ext3 .config
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y

If you don't see this line then the EXT3 filesystem, which is the default
in YDL3 was not compiled into the kernel or as a module.

to ext3.  Then follow all the rest of the steps to create a new kernel.

Hope this helps!

Michael

--

   Michael H. Martel              | Vermont State Colleges