Windows Manager (fluxbox installation)

Andrew yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jan 24 10:51:01 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 00:46, Norberto Quintanar wrote:
> Okay I've installed Fluxbox to the best of my knowledge.  Then just
> to make sure I have the latest and greatest I typed
>
> yum update fluxbox
>
> then I type switchdesk, fluxbox is an option
> But I get the below!  Argh!!!!  Fluxbox not installed!!!
>
> WTF!  Can anyone point me in the right direction, this is turning
> into a major headache.......
>
> --copied from my terminal session--
> [root@localhost root]# yum update fluxbox
> Gathering package information from servers
> Getting headers from: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
> Getting headers from: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> fluxbox is installed and the latest version.
> [root@localhost root]# switchdesk
> Red Hat Linux switchdesk 3.9
> Copyright (C) 1999-2001 Red Hat, Inc
> Redistributable under the terms of the GNU General Public License
> ERROR: Fluxbox not installed!
> [root@localhost root]#

I copy that (fluxbox not installed) but my yum don't see any 'fluxbox'
anywhere :-/

I type <fluxbox> in a shell:

---
[andrew@virgule bin]$ fluxbox
Failed to read: session.tabs
Setting default value
Failed to read: session.slitlistFile
Setting default value
Failed to read: session.groupFile
Setting default value
Failed to load groupfile:
BScreen::BScreen: an error occured while querying the X server.
  another window manager is already running on display :0.0.
Blackbox::Blackbox: no managable screens found, aborting
Fluxbox: Unknown error.
[andrew@virgule bin]$
---

I understand I got to quit X server first then run fluxbox from a
command-line-only interface.  don't know how to kill Xserver and
<CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE> respawn X right into gdm/xdm/kdm.

<...searching.....>
Found this page:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/2/2003/06/4/68648

I already did ALL that. Still stuck. HELP! :)