turn ibook with ydl 3.01 into wireless accesspoint/router

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 28 17:50:02 2004

At 18:37 +0100 on 2004-1-28 erik wrote:

 > I want to built a wireless network so I can run networkservices
 > like a dhcp-server streaming audi and/or video server, a
 > chatserver, a webserver etc. and access this services with other
 > wlan equiped computers without the use of a real wireless
 > accesspoint .

Oh, OK, the setup as access point is done using iwconfig.  I guess
then that you can have either an ad-hoc WLAN (`iwconfig mode ad-hoc
...' on all the hosts) where there is no access point, or a managed
WLAN (`iwconfig mode master ...'  on the access point and `iwconfig
mode managed ...' on the rest of the machines).  See the manual of
iwconfig for the gory details.

 > Most of the networkservices will run on the ydl 3.01 box. Access to
 > the internet and network adress translation (NAT) is not needed.

You then configure all of your machines to have an address of the form
192.168.1.x (with different x-es of course) and subnet mask
255.255.255.0.  For this purpose there is no need for a gateway since
you do not care about any external network.  There is no router in
your LAN, all hosts share the same medium so they connect directly to
each other.

The managed/ad-hoc modes would change nothing in terms of routing
information (you may have a physical "master node"--the access
point--but this need not alter your logical network configuration, ah,
the wonders of network layers ;-) ).

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.