yaboot boots os x, not linux, b&w g3

David Hacker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jul 2 12:51:01 2004

--Apple-Mail-1-965259282
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

On Jul 2, 2004, at 2:17 PM, Jeffrey Bruton wrote:

> Maybe if I understood the syntax better I would have been able to hack
> the right OF path-to-kernel, but not as of yet.
>
> my devalias output had the following:
>
> ide0     /pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@2000
> cd        /pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@2000/disk@0
> zip       /pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@2000/disk@1
>
> ide1      /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0
> hd         /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0/disk0
> ultra0    /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0/disk0
> utlra1    /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0/disk1
>

> ultra1:2,/vmlinux did not work, I also tried variations on this, as
> well as ultra0 variations.
>
> before I continue hacking at this I think I need to understand what
> this path is saying, let me try
>
> ultra1:2   <-- this is an alias to the second partition on disk1
> ,/vmlinux   <-- the path to the linux kernel on that partition

Yes the part before the colon is refering to the disk and the part
after the colon is refering to the partition number.
Anything after ,/  is refering to the path to the kernel on that
partition.

> In the output of yaboot I got
>
> /pci@8000000/pci-bridge@d/Ultra-Tek100P@4/0,0:2,/bootvmlinux-2.4.22
> -2f: Unable to open file, Invalid device.

This is probably the main reason yaboot isn't working.  There is no /
between /boot  and  vmlinux-2.4.22-2f.  It should be
/pci@8000000/pci-bridge@d/Ultra-Tek100P@4/0,0:2,/boot/vmlinux-2.4.22-2f

> I tried the full OF path from devalias with the full kernel name which
> I assumed would be the same as the error output from above
>
>  /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0/disk1/bootvmlinux-2.4.22-2f

Try that path again with the / between boot and vmlinux.

> no go. Well, this is where it stands now, not too sure what to do,
> going to reread some documentation and see if something clicks, thanks
> for all the help so far

--Apple-Mail-1-965259282

<excerpt>Maybe if I understood the syntax better I would have been
able to hack the right OF path-to-kernel, but not as of yet.

my devalias output had the following:

ide0     /pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@2000

cd        /pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@2000/disk@0

zip       /pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@2000/disk@1

ide1      /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0

hd         /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0/disk0

ultra0    /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0/disk0

utlra1    /pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0/disk1

ultra1:2,/vmlinux did not work, I also tried variations on this, as
well as ultra0 variations.

before I continue hacking at this I think I need to understand what
this path is saying, let me try

ultra1:2   <<-- this is an alias to the second partition on disk1

,/vmlinux   <<-- the path to the linux kernel on that partition

</excerpt>

Yes the part before the colon is refering to the disk and the part
after the colon is refering to the partition number.

Anything after ,/  is refering to the path to the kernel on that
partition.

<excerpt>In the output of yaboot I got

/pci@8000000/pci-bridge@d/Ultra-Tek100P@4/0,0:2,/bootvmlinux-2.4.22-2f:
Unable to open file, Invalid device.

</excerpt>

This is probably the main reason yaboot isn't working.  There is no /
between /boot  and  vmlinux-2.4.22-2f.  It should be

<excerpt>