Install crashes before partitioning

Joe Freeman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 5 15:04:01 2004

I am an experienced Linux user, but a Mac and YDL newbie. We have a
PowerBook G4 12 (2003) on which we just did a fresh install of Mac OS X
10.3.4, following the procedure outlined in "A Companion to Installing
Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1" to partition for half Mac OS X and half YDL.
When partitioning was ready to begin, the installer fails, no matter
which options were chosen. Our experience is similar to this:

http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-January/011321.html

This seems to be a common problem, according to the mailing lists. The
best hint I could find for a solution was given by Chris Gehlker:

> I agree that you can install YDL with Panther present. What you can't
> do is install YDL on any drive that was partitioned with the Panther
> version of Disk Utility. This is not just my experience. I was at an
> installfest and no one could successfully instal YDL on any machine
> that had been touched by Disk Utility version 10.4. It really doesn't
> matter whether the partitions are journaled or not. Even completely
> erasing a disk with Disk Utility 10.4 and trying to install YDL in free
> space won't work.

which is from this:

http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2003-November/010745.html

My question is:

   Is it still necessary for me to hunt down and install an older version
   of Disk Utility to get this install done, or is there now perhaps a
   simpler solution?

Everything we're doing here is utterly vanilla. I guess I expected
putting YDL on a new PowerBook alongside Mac  OS X would be
straightforward, especially since I had complete freedom to wipe out the
disk and install everything fresh on this brand new PowerBook.