Problems connecting via ethernet on iBook G4

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 6 11:17:01 2004

Here's the scenario. I kept getting timeout errors (with
100% packet loss) during boot up and when I tried to
activate my ethernet connection from Network preferences. I
talked to our network admin at work and he ran lsmod which
yielded the following results:

Module                  Size  Used by
dmasound_pmac          84484  0
dmasound_core          19568  1 dmasound_pmac
soundcore               8004  1 dmasound_core
autofs                 14784  0
ipt_REJECT              5920  2
iptable_filter          2144  1
ip_tables              17408  2 ipt_REJECT,iptable_filter
eth1394                20456  0
ohci1394               35460  0
ieee1394              421992  2 eth1394,ohci1394

I believe his verdict was that my ethernet card was being
read as a firewire device or something. His solution was to
remove the offending module via the command: rmmod eth1394
and then to restart the network daemon with the commands:
'/etc/init.d/network stop' and then
'/etc/init.d/network start')
My question is how do I corect this problem once and for
all so I don't have to run the commands each and every
time. (In the meantime I've put all three in a shell script
which I run every time I want to go on-line but I just know
there *has* to be a better way)

-Alex.

P.S. The kernel release I'm running is 2.6.7-1.ydl.1

http://www.nni.com/