Install crashes before partitioning

Joe Freeman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 6 11:29:00 2004

> I wiped my disk clean and make 30 GB HFS+ and 30GB free space while
> booted from the OS X 10.3 install disk and installed OS X and then went
> right to the YDL CD's and done autopartition with no problem.  The main
> thing is that you have to make sure you leave the other as free space
> and do not format it in any way.
> David C. Hacker, DVM

I would describe what I did on the PowerBook G4 just as you describe
your installation above, including the 30GB HFS+ for OS X and 30GB of
free space for YDL. Yet when I get to the partitioning step, I have the
same failure as described (for example) here:

http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-January/011321.html

no matter which of the 3 partitioning methods I invoke. I've been
through the entire process several times, wiping out the disk and
starting fresh each time.

Perhaps there is a subtle difference between my incorrect procedure and
your correct procedure, and I am missing that. Can you suggest any
details to check that I might have overlooked? Any gotchas that would
not be obvious to someone who is mostly new to both Mac OS X and YDL?