Bootable DVD?

Daniel Gimpelevich yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:21:29 -0700

I'll assume you have the LG DRN-8080b. Your drive is perfectly capable of
reading CDs, unless there is something wrong with it. You can download a
replacement ROM for it at rpc1.org. Here is what xlr8yourmac has to say
about it:

Reviewer's Name: Wil Nelson
Date Submitted: 2/20/2003
Drive Type: DVD-ROM
Drive Interface: Exp. Bay
Drive Brand: LG
Drive Model Number: LG DRN 8080B 6X DVD, 24X CD
Driver Used: Apple Standard
Mac Model: PowerBook G3 2000 Rage128 Mobility
Mac OS Version: OS X
Reader Comments: OS X 10.2.4, Replacement Drive will boo the computer.  2nd
DVD/CD drive failed after 1 yr.  Apple replaced the original under warranty.

Found an LG DRN 8080B on ebay for $51 including shipping.  The DRN NO. was
indicated on the Apple DVD/CD drive so thought I would give it a try
considering replacement cost.  Drive carrier is easy to remove except for
the face place which due to curved Pismo disign requires one to be very
careful so as not to break the face plate.  The replacement drive is a
Compaq and is made of steel rather than aluminum.

The drive works well as a CD and will boot the computer in but will not
recognize DVD's in either OS 10 or 9.  I assume this is due to a ROM
difference in the drive.  I do not use the DVD capability so considering
significant lesser cost of DRN module only of $51 vs. $179 from an apple
parts supplier and time to replace carrier the replacement drive is a good
tradeoff.
--
"No gnu's is good gnu's."   --Gary Gnu, "The Great Space Coaster"