A Mac User's Guide to Linux

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 2 14:06:01 2004

Friends:

Does anyone have any hints or anecdotes to share about the migration
from the Macintosh environment (either the classic OS or Mac OS X) to
Linux (especially, but not limited to Yellow Dog Linux)? I would like to
start a page on the YDL-FAQ with migration issues, and your input would
be great.

Here's what got me started on this: NewsForge has an interesting article
by Krissi Danielsson called "A Windows user's guide to getting started
with Linux":

<http://os.newsforge.com/os/04/05/24/143250.shtml?tid=2&tid=82&tid=94>

While interesting reading on its own, the article got me to thinking.
There are a plethora of Web sites discussing the migration from
Microsoft Windows to Linux. This makes sense, since that is the major
direction of the migration: dissatisfied Windows users try (for free)
another operating system that is optimized for their hardware. This is
also reflected in the software: the major two desktop environments try
to emulate the Windows user interface, and many major applications are
clones of Windows applications (OpenOffice.org/Microsoft <spit> Office,
Ximian Evolution/Outlook, GIMP/Adobe Photoshop, and so on).

It occurred to me, however, that there is far less discussing the steps
required to migrate from the Macintosh to Linux. What should one expect
to be the same? What is different? What Linux applications mimic those
on the Mac platform? How does one transfer data between the two
platforms? And so on.

I will compile the responses to this thread and try to make a page on
the FAQ (including, as if you had any doubts, my own opinions of the
subject :-) ). I will attribute everyone on the list who contributes
(but, to foil spammers, I will not publish any e-mail addresses). What
do you think? Is this a worthwhile project? What hints, tips, tricks,
and stories do you have to offer?

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Clint