How Much HD Space for Linux?

Ed Sutherland yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 15 11:39:00 2004

mascarasnake wrote:

> Confession time:
>  If you're not adverse to the wipe and replace method, a big space
> saver would be pick a DTE and not install both. I have a 6 GB HDD on
> my PC and only installed GNOME (KDE just wigs me out for some reason
> and konqueror crashes way too much).

Ah! The perfect man to ask this question: I *love the look of Gnome but
absolutely require CUPS support for my printer. How do I go about
getting a working CUPS printer acknowledged by Gnome?

> I haven't encountered it yet with either of my linux boxes, but I've
> seen on both Mac OS and Winders that overall performance really starts
> to suffer when the disks get about 2/3 to 3/4 full.

Yes. I didn't even know I'd run out of disk space until this morning
when I kept getting these "not enough room for file xx" messages. I
agree about Mac OS X. About the only time it truly feels fast is right
after a fresh install.