[OT] Yum and other internet cr@p

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 17 17:03:02 2004

--- Norberto Quintanar <> wrote:
> I've completely removed all instances of yum using:
>
> rpm -e yum
>
> and "mv" all of the following:
>
> /usr/bin/yum
> /usr/sbin/yum
> /etc/yum.conf
> /etc/yum.conf-
> /usr/lib/yum
> /usr/share/man/man8/yum.8.gz
>
> If I reinstall yum I get the same traceback error  Is it possible
> my
> python install is what's wrecked?  I've never liked yum, and this
> just reinforces my dislike for it.
>
> Norberto

More research revelaed that I needed to:

When a process _is_ so killed [sometimes due to a loss of power
crash, sometimes due to a third party helper application dying
without cleaning up lock state information in files at exit,
sometimes due to an impatient admin], it may also leave some small
corruption behind in the RPM 'SleepyCat' db based database. Usually
the simple

rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*

will remove the files which hold lock state information (these files
start with that distinctive "__"). As these lock state holding files
are automatically re-created if missing, this is a safe approach.

Then I repaired the rpm database using:

rpm -vv --rebuilddb

-vv gives you a visaul to the rebuild

after all that I removed yum again rebuilt it

and voila:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 36, in ?
    if not os.path.exists('/proc/' + oldpid):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/posixpath.py", line 171, in exists
    st = os.stat(path)
TypeError: stat() argument 1 must be (encoded string without NULL
bytes), not str

No dice.