Compiling a kernel

David Hacker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 29 12:38:01 2004

Maybe the terrasoft kernel doesn't require it.  Just try make vmlinux
modules modules install.
Then you have to copy vmlinux to /boot and System.map to /boot  You can
rename them if you like to vmlinux-2.4.22-2g and Sytstem.map-2.4.22.2g
Good Luck,
David C. Hacker, DVM
On Jun 29, 2004, at 10:56 AM, Jason Warm wrote:

> When I try to make deps I get the following response.
>
> make: *** No rule to make target `deps'.  Stop.
>
> Jason
>
> <quote who="David Hacker">
>> It is perfectly acceptable to run this all on one line.  There is
>> actually one other thing you need for a 2.4 kerenel.  make deps  When
>> building a 2.4 kernel I usually do it all in one step such as,
>> make deps && make vmlinux modules modules_install
>> Good luck,
>> David C. Hacker, DVM
>> On Jun 29, 2004, at 8:26 AM, Jason Warm wrote:
>>
>>> Just a quick question about compiling a kernel.  I got some brief
>>> instructions, and would just like to make sure I am going about this
>>> the
>>> right way...
>>> 1.  Place the source in /usr/src/linux-2.4.22g (or whatever kernel I
>>> am
>>> working with)
>>> 2.  Create a symbolic link to /usr/linux-2.4
>>> 3.  Go to /usr/src/linux-2.4 and run "make xconfig"