tryed new kernels

Dan Kahmann yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 2 05:23:01 2004

James -

  Check /var/log/dmesg and /var/log/messages - look for any lines that
reference your network card ,
Probably called "eth0" , this should give you an indication of where the
problem lies....
I am guessing , however, that your previous setup (ie.. your old kernel)
was built with support for it, and perhaps you did not select the proper
module when you did "make menuconfig" ? Either way , you should be able to
load the module you need using "insmod" or "lsmod" ( some say the latter is
better ?) , you just need to know what kind of hardware your ethernet is
(ne2000 pci is a real common one) so you know what module to use. ** If
your card is a "tulip" type you may find this difficult ?? Perhaps someone
else could explain that better than I ? Once you know what module you need
to load, goto your /etc/rc.d/ directory, there is a file in there (don't
recall the name off the top of my head now, it's early yet..) where you can
put your own configuration options for boot time ...... so add the command
to load the module there...

You could also read the man page for "ifconfig" - it may take care of all
that for you now - either way , you will have to use it to re-install the
network card (I would guess) once the module is loaded...

T/C
Dan