Problems rebuilding 2.4.22-2g Kernel (modules)

John Lannon yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 17 07:47:14 2004

I installed YDL 3.0.1 and the RPM updates to make YDL
3.0.1 a 2.4.22-2g kernel.  It currently runs fine,
with the exeception of a usb problem with my microtek
Slimscan C6 USB.  The scanner is supported under SANE
and there is a backend, but usb is not seeing it:

Mar 11 16:53:37 localhost kernel: hub.c: new USB
device 10:18.0-2, assigned address 2
Mar 11 16:53:37 localhost kernel: usb.c: failed to set
device 2 default configuration (error=-110)

In the linux-usb lists, there was a post about a
changing a timeout in hub.c.  I made the change and
attempted to rebuild the kernel using the make
oldconfig since the change was a minor one.  All the
steps in the kernel rebuild process appeared to
execute correctly, until I got to the make modules
command.  This errors out almost immediately while
making the floppy module (don't have error output
handy at the moment).

Since the kernel was basically the same as before, I
figured I could install the new kernel files (saving
off the working ones) and reboot.  Unfortunately, this
did not work.  However, I was able to boot into rescue
mode and restore the old kernel and reboot
successfully.

I was wondering in anyone has had any success in
making minor changes to 2.4.22-2g files (drivers,
etc.) and rebuilding 2.4.22-2g?  Thanks.