Mac OS X

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 19 19:48:01 2004

Mr. Ricken:

Jim Ricken wrote:
> You know all this time that I have spent playing around with Ydl 3.0 ,I
> finally decided that my favorite OS is Mac OS X.

Hear, hear! I agree 100%!

Oh, Mac OS X has its faults, but is well on its way to overcoming them.
Its biggest fault, in my opinion, is that OS X really, really wants a
fast G4 processor, lots of system RAM, and lots of video RAM. However,
once one has overcome the hardware obstacles, it is a sweet system. (In
fact, your upgraded 8600 is a minor miracle. :-) )

Linux is my second favorite OS, however. My satisfaction with OS X is
part of what led me to try Yellow Dog Linux. Some of the things I love
about OS X are due to its BSD Unix roots: true multitasking (man, one
gets used to *that* real fast) and memory management (so that a crash in
one application does not affect another). Wow, I thought, if the
Macintosh OS was only awaiting these features to to become so good, then
what else does Linux have to offer, especially on older hardware?

> The reason being is that everything works in OS X.

That's where Linux needs to catch up. It's on its way, though.

Best wishes,
Clint