[Off topic] Re: Mac OS X and Hello MSG.

Bill Hughes yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 22 21:36:01 2004

http://www-3.ibm.com/e-business/doc/content/lp/prodigy.html

> Remember the last time IBM tried to get into
> desktops?  OS/2 ring a
> bell?
>
> For a rock solid desktop linux configuration to be
> implemented a
> major corporation will need to make the decision to
> go forward with a
> distribution that can go up against Windoze.  That's
> gonna take $$$.
> Which goes against the open source ideaology.  A
> good example is
> Wal-Mart selling Lindows on it's cheaper PC's.  They
> haven't made a
> dent trying to sell $399 computers w/ Monitor.  If
> Dell were able to
> cut it's ties with M$ and implement a linux distro
> as an alternative
> to it's current offerings.  That would also prove a
> worthy opponent.
> But M$ agreements with the major PC makers force
> them to put Windoze
> on every computer they sell.  Call Dell, HP, or
> Toshiba and ask to
> get an OEM computer with no OS installed.  They can
> not sell you an
> OEM computer legally wthout Windoze pre-loaded.

Actually, the bit about HP is NOT true.

On NPR the other day, I heard that HP is going to
offer PC's w/Linux installed (don't know which distro,
or if they've rewritten their version which was
installed on the last of the AlphaCPU line they got
when purchased from Compaq, which BTW, Digital,
a.k.a.- DEC, made THE 1st 64bit CPU) in Asia and the
Middle East.

Without looking it up, I don't exactly remember all
the details, but I know I heard this.
Anyways,
Though I'm jumping in late on this topic, I will say
to the originator, that if you don't agree, you can
always go get a Dell, HP or whatever (or build your
own PC) and run Windows to your hearts content.

However, one thing that I must point out, is that
because I do use a Apple (albeit a Old World PPC9500),
I can drive to the closest city (I live in the
country), walk into a PC store and when the vultures
home in on me and ask "Can I help you?", I can get 'em
out of my hair by stating "I need to get some stuff
for my Mac", and they'll just point out the general
direction of Computer stuff and walk off. Not to
mention the fact that though OS X was Apple's way of
"forced hardware upgrade", it isn't the case, BECAUSE
Darwin is Open Source, and BECAUSE you can install it
on your antiquited hardware (well, those with PCI
Mac's with a 604 or higher, depending on which flavor
of OSX one is using).