Has anyone gotten a 2.6 Kernel to build?

Simon Slaytor yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 23 03:02:01 2004

Hi John,

Yes your right mod-init-tools did the trick for me. In regard to the
sound, right from the outset I had problems with the DMA driver under
2.4, same old story one minute Kudzu is adding it then it's taking it
away and regardless of what I did it simply wouldn't work.

In a fit of madness I installed an old Sound Blaster PCI 128 (Ess1373)
card. Under 2.4 and OSS it worked but obviously suffered from
DMA/Interrupt driven driver problems, static / distorted sound etc.

My main reason for installing 2.6 was to try ALSA (Yes I know I could
have under 2.4 but where's the fun in that) but under 2.6 it's fully
integrated.

Now under 2.6 using the ALSA driver / sub system for the sound card all
I can say is WOW! perfect sound. I have also enabled OSS emulation for
some of my older programs that don't do ALSA and they all work like a
charm.

Give it a try you won't be disappointed.

Regards

Simon

P.S. I build the sound module into the Kernel, initially because I had
problems with the old mod tools. But after that found that it just seems
to 'work' better that way.